Gazetteer References & Data Sources
Database & Map Update Cycles
- For Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) updates, we have an automated method that checks 4 times per day for the availability of new data. When there is new data, we automatically download it and have it online within minutes.
- Geographic data for physical, cultural and historic features is updated 6 times per year. Last update: September 1, 2020.
- The ZIP Code database and maps are each updated 4 times per year but with different update cycles. The ZIP Code database was last updated on October 1, 2020 and the ZIP Code maps were last updated on November 4, 2020.
- The School Attendance Zone Maps are updated 4 times per year. Last update: September 10, 2020.
- The Census Demographic Data is updated annually. Last update: July 1, 2020.
Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Data
Data from the COVID-19 Data Repository by the Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE) is used in the sortable tables and the charts are produced by https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus.
The geographic data for the physical, cultural and historic features is based on the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS). The GNIS is maintained by the US Geological Survey (USGS) and is the official Federal database for domestic geographic feature names and locative information.
Census Demographic Data
The annual census demographic estimates and 5-year forecasts are based upon data produced by Esri Demographics. Their estimates and forecasts use the latest US Census Bureau annual American Community Survey (ACS) as a starting point. They then combine additional data from multiple sources including residential postal delivery counts from the USPS, a time series of county-to-county migration patterns from the IRS, building permits, housing starts and local data sources that tested well against the most recent census. For more detailed information: Methodology Statement: 2020/2025 Esri Updated Demographics.
The primary data source for our school profiles is the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) at the US Department of Education.
Maps and Map Data
- The base maps, terrain maps, and satellite views are produced by HERE. They also provide the driving directions.
- The defined boundaries for incorporated places, Census Designated Places, counties and county subdivisions that overlay the maps is based on data provided by Esri.
- Both the School Attendance Zone Maps and ZIP Code Maps are derived from data provided by Precisely. Precisely is a new company that was formed when Synscort and Pitnery Bowes Software & Data combined into one organization. Their customers include 90 of the Fortune 100 largest U.S. corporations.
- The Congressional District Maps are based on data provided by the U.S. Census Bureau
- The COVID-19 data is provided by The New York Times.
Photos, Popular Places, Geocoding, & Jobs
- The Local Area Photos are provided by Trover.
- The listings used to create the local Top 20 Popular Places and related data are powered by HERE. They pioneered in-car navigation systems over 30 years ago - first as NAVTEQ, later as Nokia Maps, and now as HERE. The company draws on more than 80,000 data sources and they rely on local source data for information about local business and attractions.
- Forward Geocoding, taking an address and translating it into geographic coordinates, is performed by HERE.
- The Local Job Listings are provided by CareerBuilder.